[TriLUG] [way OT] new auto recommendations (fwd)

Ken MacKenzie ken at mack-z.com
Fri Oct 17 16:09:26 EDT 2014

Good to know, thanks.  I was thinking it was outdated information
considering how solid VW TDI systems are.  If I hadn't gotten such a good
deal on my Elantra Touring I would have gone for a Jetta Sportwagon TDI.  I
like to think of my Elantra as my cheapskate version of the Jetta.  I get
about 30 MPG and since the cars suspension is euro designed (it is the
i30cw across the pond) I cannot get the tires to squeel, and not from lack
of sane trying.  Seriously I can barely get the car to lean on a turn.

My only slight annoyance with it is the old Beta engine block in it, which
yes is a decent and reliable power plant but the timing belt interval is
60k.  That has to be the lowest timing belt interval I have ever heard of.

Ken