[TriLUG] [way OT] new auto recommendations (fwd)

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 23:23:07 EDT 2014

Not always.  I had an '84 Toyota Tercel w/ manual transmission, about 15
yrs old, original owner, well cared-for, just over 100k miles, and I was
driving at a steady speed on I-40, on the way from Greensboro to Cary, with
my little Laser sailboat on a small trailer behind it.  Near Chapel Hill
the car slowed down a little bit for no apparent reason.  It was as if I
was going uphill, but there was no hill.  Puzzled, I pressed the
accelerator down a bit more, and there was a sharp *BANG* sound from under
the car somewhere -- and the engine was no longer connected to the wheels.

I coasted onto the shoulder.  That was the last time I ever drove that car.