[TriLUG] Understanding why invalid hostnames and short names resolve to my home router IP

Kristopher Kane kristopher.kane at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 06:03:49 EST 2014

> So give us some more concrete examples, such as what your ping command
> looks like, what it outputs and what dig returns for this hostname.

My original example is literal:

>ping unreachable-host
 ... will resolve back to my router's IP and pong.

Dig returns:
;unreachable-host. IN A

Note there isn't an IP associated with it.

This all came about while I was running some unit tests that failed when
asserting what was expected to be an unreachable hostname in a URI class.
No other developer experiences this and I am trying to figure out why
invalid hostnames always resolve back to my home's DynDNS/IP.

Kris