[TriLUG] [way OT] new auto recommendations

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Mon Nov 3 12:50:24 EST 2014

On 11/02/2014 10:46 PM, Don Jerman wrote:
> "The Accord [...] will eventually grow too large and expensive to survive"
>
> Eventually the Accord will shed its outer layers and implode, briefly
> outshining the Ford Galaxy before turning into a white smart car, or
> possibly a brown Fit.

Good one. I had a '78 Accord, the 2nd model year. It was a very small
hatch back and subjectively smaller than the Civic hatchback I'm
remembering from the mid-90s.
But a few years BA (Before Accord) I saw a Honda in California and
thought "got to have one of those!". Absolutely fabulous. It was an
impossibly small hatchback that in my mind's eye made a Fit look like a
stretch limo. Seriously, it was the size of the original Morris Mini
(not the BMW version sold in this country). I vaguely recall something
suggesting a 600cc engine. When the Accord happened I spent a year
screwing around 'cause I was making the transition from big corporation
to local area startup and then got the '78. That was a wonderful car. I
gave it to my dad while I was courting with the first Acura Legend, then
got it back and drove it until the wheels fell off while the wife drove
the Legend.

-Pete