[TriLUG] In a LUG a long time ago

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at austintek.com
Mon Nov 3 13:57:55 EST 2014

.

> Now, picture a LUG which, such as TriLUG, which offers an email, document
> storage (think ownCloud), and related services, with reliable dedicated
> hardware, backups, and high security, all from people you have met, and
> with privacy, security, and stability as the highest priority. This would
> of course take lots of someone's time, and money, so it wouldn't be truly
> free, but I for one, would be willing to contribute financially for a
> worthy cause like this.

this sounds like the specification for "host your own". You would be happy to
use and pay for it, but not maintain it.

John Broome points out the problems of having it be a TriLUG run project, but
there's no reason why TriLUG members themselves couldn't organise it outside
TriLUG. Warren points out that the cost of being secure rises exponentially with
the grade of security. You'll have to say how much you want and accept that.

Perhaps then you could figure out how much such a service would cost and see how
many people would be needed at say $100/mo to keep such a service running. If
anyone was willing to maintain it, they could get the service for free. I'd be
interested in either of these options.

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml