[TriLUG] In a LUG a long time ago

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at austintek.com
Mon Nov 3 14:15:01 EST 2014

On Mon, 3 Nov 2014, Bill Farrow wrote:

> We have discussed offering ownCloud and other services to our members,
> but then we should probably get regular backups implemented first.

I have a machine on-line, through sharing with a friend. It's unreliable (the
hardware is flakey), so I rsynce the whole machine to my home setup every hour.
This isnt a big deal as the only thing that changes much is my mail files.

What's involved in backups? rsync'ing the user's files to a machine off-site?

Could you require users to handle their own backups?

> I personally like the idea of hosting your own email and cloud storage
> server in the cloud. With encrypted disks

how are you going to backup an encrypted disk?

> and network protocols, you might even be able to secure it somewhat from
> foreign or domestic spying. This might be a good sysadmin hack day activity
> and follow-up talk.

well someone needs to come up with a spec that can be implemented, that's
acceptable and people will pay for

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml