[TriLUG] Slightly OT: Audio Digitizing Hardware Question

Ken MacKenzie ken at mack-z.com
Mon Nov 3 14:26:13 EST 2014

A/D converters are much better on outboard gear when compared to consumer
computers.

Firewire is best, used to own a Presonus firepod, is linux compatible with
Jack and FFADO.  Worked great.

I currently own an ART Usb Dual Pre.  It stinks, avoid.

If you only need 2 channel then USB will be easy enough to find just google
around enough to confirm it has linux support.  Presonus and Alesis seem to
be pretty good about that.

Anything USB 1 that is standards compliant (would not need a driver on
other OSs) should work out the box on linux.

It is USB 2+ that things start to get wonky with the manufacturers
implementations.

One other tip.  If you can find something that can support an audio quality
of 20 bit and 48 khz sampling rate or better.

Ken