[TriLUG] Slightly OT: Audio Digitizing Hardware Question

Ken MacKenzie ken at mack-z.com
Mon Nov 3 15:12:03 EST 2014

Same here on Behringer.  However the worst usually results in anything that
actually is a power amp.  Or instrument amp.  I have an FBQ3102 and it is a
great rack mount EQ.  A couple of their mixers worked out well for me over
the years as well.  I mean nothing that will make Rick Rubin say "wow" but
passable for the garage musician who cares.

I have absolutely no experience with their USB equipment.  However what I
would think is this.

1.  It probably is basic so most likely works on linux.
2.  A/D converters are passable and hence CD quality but nothing to write
home about.

You know saying all this I have to think perhaps your issue is gain staging
and not the converters.  In the long long time ago even an SB16 could do a
great job on incoming audio.  I would hate to think native hardware has
gotten worse since then.  A goo folio mixer might go a long way to getting
a better signal into your laptop, USB interface or not.

Behringer and Alesis both make entry level folio mixers with USB built in
on a side note.

Ken