[TriLUG] Reminder software

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Nov 4 07:48:14 EST 2014

On Mon, 03 Nov 2014 16:44:35 -0500
Grawburg <grawburg at myglnc.com> wrote:

> I've looked at several varieties of reminder software and found none
> satisfactory--too complicated or Web-based. I don't use Evolution so
> it does me no good. All I need is a way to make short notes (i.e,
> "Take blood pressure pill", or "pay XYZ bill today") that will pop-up
> at a preset date and time (everyday or once a month, etc.) and
> preferably stay on top of everything else until I close it. Debian 7
> 64-bit.
>

> Brian Grawburg

I rolled my own, using bash and Perl. It throws a Perl/tk message on
the screen at times specified by cron. The information is input as a
tab indented outline. I hooked it to my UMENU program so it's very easy
to use.

It works, but it's a little iffy. Perhaps I'll replace it one of these
days, but when it works, it does exactly what I want it to do.

SteveT

SteveT