[TriLUG] Replicating a filesystem across datacenters

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at austintek.com
Tue Nov 4 14:51:15 EST 2014

On Tue, 4 Nov 2014, Brian Cottingham wrote:

> My employer is expanding from just one datacenter, adding a second as a
> failover location, and we're unsure how to keep our file store in sync.

.
.

> We need a solution that allows writes to occur in both datacenters, and
> which will bring the datacenters back in sync after the failed one comes
> back online. (In the case of conflicts, we can assume last write wins).

AFAIK this is an unsolved problem for finite amounts of money. I expect IBM
will have a solution for you.

Imagine rewriting the kernel to mount local disks twice and write twice and not
return till both writes are complete.

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml