[TriLUG] SWAP and SSD vs HDD

Ken MacKenzie ken at mack-z.com
Thu Nov 6 06:54:38 EST 2014

Well my thoughts, and the reason I asked are the concerns over SSD useful
life in applications where there are frequent smaller writes, such as
swap.  Now most likely I will elect to turn the vm.swappiness value down to
about 10 on this machine when all is said and done.

The way I was figuring it was like this:

1.  put swap on ssd and better swap performance, but potentially lessen
useful life of drive
2.  put swap on hdd and worse swap performance, but ssd faces less frequent
writes

I can't say I have ever setup a machine without swap other than how my
Chromebook is setup.  That works just fine and all but maybe I am thinking
to old school in this case by saying to myself:

"Thou must have SWAP!!!"

Ken