[TriLUG] Childproofing

Ken MacKenzie ken at mack-z.com
Mon Nov 10 08:37:51 EST 2014

So as my kids get older and more online I am starting to deal with content
filtering.

So at present I have set up the main workstation/home computer with a
combination of privoxy and dansguardian and have the internal routing
forcing people through different internal routes (local to the machine
itself) based on their user name.

This so far is proving to be a pretty good solution but it is not global
for the whole network.  Now granted I know what I would have to do to make
it global for the whole network but current hardware setup does not support
that and not sure I want to go that route.

So another option is of course OpenDNS.

Which brings me to my main question, has anyone used it before?  My
particular interest is thoughts on general privacy using something like
OpenDNS.  I mean yes in theory no different from hitting any other DNS, but
in the OpenDNS model they have my IP associated with my Email address
directly provided by me.

My main reason for thinking OpenDNS might be a better solution is the
combination of being able to make it global for the whole house with no
installations and regardless of OS.  Also that they maintain the lists to
keep the filtering sane.

Ken