[TriLUG] reverse ssh through firewall/NAT with a twist

Kevin Hunter Kesling hunteke at earlham.edu
Sat Nov 15 22:22:10 EST 2014

At 10:59am -0500 Sat, 15 Nov 2014, Bill Farrow wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Alan Porter wrote:
>>> BusComp  <--> router <--> Internet <--> router <--> HomeComp
>
> I think the Kevin is looking for an implementation of "Firewall Hole
> Punching" for SSH.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole_punching

Exactly.  I didn't know what this was called (obviously!).  Thanks!

> Traversing NAT on your firewall is nothing new. Skype does this all
> the time. Perhaps this tool might work ?
> http://samy.pl/pwnat/

Awesome.  I read through the description and how-it-works sections and
it appears to be exactly for what I asked.  That is a fantastically
clever hack, from someone who clearly knows the IP4 protocols better than I.

And in response to IPv6: I'm with you that I should do it, I understand
all the merits, and believe that I *should* do it (for a variety of
reasons), and have even argued for it[1], but I haven't actually made
the mental jump yet.  KevinO/AaronJ: I know, I know.  I'll get there.
Bear with me.  :-)

Cheers,

Kevin

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/sounder/2011-February/015871.html