[TriLUG] Using Btrfs

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Nov 19 14:18:33 EST 2014

A couple clarifying comments (or nitpicks, depending on your
perspective)... which hopefully may help you clarify your question, or at
least inform your thinking.

- You assert the workstations have "a single hard drive (about 500-750GB in
size)", yet you express concerns about "the default RAID configuration".
RAID <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID> is short for Redundant Array of
Inexpensive Disks, it does not apply (at least not in any reasonable
fashion) when you talk about machines with single disks.
- Snapshots in btrfs are "copy on write".  They start by taking
approximately zero room, and then begin to consume additional space as you
make more changes to disk.  They're typical use is to allow for flexible
local "backups", which insure against modest user error (deleting an
important file), but not against hardware failure (bad disk) or colossal
administrator error (deleting the partition containing the filesystem).
How much space your snapshots take up is a function of how far back in time
you want to be able to go, and with what granularity (eg. you might take
one snapshot every hour, and keep the last day's worth, the one from the
previous Monday, and the first of last month).
- You don't configure btrfs to store snapshots; you can choose to automate
taking a snapshot with a script.  Thus, you control the frequency and
number of snapshots by how often you run $(btrfs subvolume snapshot ...)
and $(btrfs subvolume delete ...).

Aaron S. Joyner

PS - More on snapshots: https://lwn.net/Articles/579009/ (see the section
"Snapshots")
PPS - Don't use btrfs on the external backup drives.  ;-)

My general advice on filesystem adoption is that people are, in general,
much too averse to new adopting new filesystems.  This is because good
backup and restore practices are rare, so silent background data corruption
is a very scary thing, and it takes a lot of people using a filesystem for
a long time to have confidence that you've sussed out all the edge cases
where that can happen.  For shared workstations, which typically don't have
a lot of data that couldn't be easily reproduced, and for which you have
good external backups ("an external USB drive to store backups"), I
wouldn't hesitate to try out btrfs.