[TriLUG] Using Btrfs

Randy Barlow randy at electronsweatshop.com
Wed Nov 19 15:05:16 EST 2014

On 11/19/2014 02:49 PM, Paul Boyle wrote:
> This is exactly what I think would be most important about moving to
> btrfs.  Sometimes students hose an important file and it would be really
> nice to be able to "go back to before the accident".  I was thinking to
> make /home a btrfs files system with each user having their own
> subvolume.  I would leave the other paritions as ext4 partitions.

One nice thing you can do fairly inexpensively is to have a
/home/<user>/snapshots/ folder where you have some automatic snapshot
system making and mounting them there with timestamps. Then if a user
messes up, they don't have to come to you about it, they can just browse
those folders. For example:

cp /home/randy/snapshots/2014-11-19-15:04:00
/file_i_accidentally_deleted.txt ~

Of course, you should automate cleaning up old ones too. Since snapshots
are relatively cheap in btrfs, you could do them every hour or maybe
even every minute.