[TriLUG] OT: at what age would you setup email for a child

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 15:15:08 EST 2014

On 11/30/2014 03:15 PM, Kevin Hunter Kesling wrote:

> My suggestion?  Other than as a rough proxy for a child's maturity, I'd
> ignore their age.  The larger issue is their understanding of the world
> as judged by you, their primary caretaker.  Are they able to put
> situations in context?  Are they able to think critically?  If they can
> do this, then they are ready for an email address.

~OR~ wait until they have reached the "Age of Consent" before they
become netizens. There is that. They cannot enter into a binding
contract, give legal consent, enjoy a drink or cigar, or represent
themselves as adults can. So, while you figure they might be mature
enough, the law doesn't and that brings an additional burden onto the
adults on the web.

On the other hand, it should be illegal as merry hell to datamine
someone under the age of consent for the very same reasons.

Linux user# 44256