[TriLUG] Linux phone OS?

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 11:47:56 EST 2014

Thanks Michael,

Here's a case in point, I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10". Over the last 2
months it has behaved worse and worse. Regularly the keyboard input no
longer is processed for 5 seconds. Sometimes I even have to reboot to get
keyboard input to work at all (in various apps including Android Browser).
This is not something I ever experienced with Linux. Perhaps its Samsung's
customizations and recent updates. Perhaps its Samsung hardware; but, as a
consumer I feel I now have a junky device. Similarly for Android Browser
and Chrome browser not supporting HTML5 datalist and Android Browser on
most current Samsung devices making a mess of the input type="number".
These are simply Android-specific problems which do not exist in Linux. Its
not clear at all why Google/Android/Samsung would introduce these bugs/not
support these HTML5 features and, as a user, gives me an unsure footing
when trying to use the phone/tablet as a general use computing device.

On the Apple side, I had to create two accounts to setup an iPhone for my
wife. I know Apple wants me to put my data into their cloud; but, what if I
don't want to do that. Not to mention on my iPad it now will no longer
allow me to install software as it wants me to sign another contract. I've
had the device for several years: they are basically holding me/my device
hostage.

Thanks,
Tim