[TriLUG] Music Synthesis on Linux Mint

Paul Bennett paul.w.bennett at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 02:12:17 EST 2014

Hi,

I've got a Linux Mint box that I'm trying to prep for use for me to
noodle around with electronic music synthesis and sequencing.

I've started following the guide at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudioPreparation

My hardware is an 8-core Intel 3770K with 32GB of RAM and a mixture of
SSDs and HDDs. My MIDI devices are a Behringer CMD MM-1 and CMD DV-1,
and an M-Audio Oxygen 49. My audio output is the HDMI audio on an
Nvidia 780 GTX being fed into an Onkyo 7.1 amp.

What I think I probably want to do is get all set up so that the notes
on the Oxygen feed into seq24 to do the sequencing, (along with some
of the buttons) and then seq24 and the various knobs & sliders (and
the rest of the buttons) would feed into Alsa Modular Synth to
actually do the synthesis.

Up until this point, I've had great success with just controlling AMS
with the MIDI devices, but it doesn't seem like a foregone conclusion
that adding seq24 into the mix is going to be trivial.

Any additional hints, tips, tricks, or suggestions that aren't in the
Ubuntu Studio guide? Questions, too, are welcome, if I have been
overly vague on some points.

Thanks,

--
Paul W Bennett