[TriLUG] OT: lack of security at BofA

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at austintek.com
Sun Dec 21 14:22:09 EST 2014

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014, Steve Litt wrote:

> You're right, Michael. But as a nation it's our fault. We didn't give
> BofA enough bailout money to do security right!

:-)

I was in at the Durham Intrex a few minutes ago and mentioned the events this
morning to the friendly manager, Tim, to get a vendor-eye view of the matter.

He says when you get a phone call like this, it is from the bank and they won't
ask you any PII. You just talk and if they ask anything they shouldn't already
know, they're fraud.

So if they ask me for my passwd/securty_string (eg mother's maiden name), am I
supposed to give it? Not till I know that they're BofA.

Tim's method fails. I would have to sit there on guard with every question. If I
make a mistake, I've been phished. I get about half a dozen phone calls a day
from people who have no business calling me; they're just scams. I get spam all
day. I'm not interested in having a battle of wits every time. I only have to
slip-up once and I'm hosed.

they are and why I should listen to them.

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml