[TriLUG] OT: lack of security at BofA

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at austintek.com
Sun Dec 21 18:10:25 EST 2014

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014, Justis Peters wrote:

> It's a calculated risk. They have budget assigned to cover the losses on
> fraud. Their bureaucracy adapts only when a pattern emerges which creates a
> risk of loss they can't afford to cover.

This is what I've heard too. The numbers show that fraud must cost them a lot.

BofA lost $1000 in an hour yesterday on my account. If BofA charges the vendor
2% (I don't know how much it is, but this will do for the moment. Assume a
spherical credit card). I will need to run 50k$ through this card for them to
make the money back. This will take me about 5yrs. BofA sends me a new card with
a new number about every year, because of fraudulent activity on my card. I
expect they're making a loss on me.

As Steve says, they should have got a bigger bailout.

Tim at Intrex says that people make cards up once they have your info. My card
has a chip in it, which is supposed to prevent duplication. However I find from
wikipedia that this chip is an alternative to the magnetic stripe rather than in
addition to the stripe and is not in common use in the US

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml