[TriLUG] OT: lack of security at BofA

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Sun Dec 21 21:19:21 EST 2014

Don't forget that a solid portion of the fraud costs get pushed onto the
merchant, rather than the bank.  If you wish to learn more, read about
"chargebacks".  One view is that it's reasonable if you consider that the
merchant has the best chance of evaluating the person in the store for
fraud, and putting a large portion of the liability at their feet
encourages them to be vigilant, such as requiring the card to  be present,
asking for ID, comparing signatures, considering if you appear nervous or
shady.. all the things you'd expect if they were taking a paper IOU.  For
those of us who frequently use plastic for purchases (likely everyone who
will ever read this), most merchants are not particularly vigilant, because
they do not encounter enough fraud to warrant it.

In the big picture, the payments market has essentially solved this problem
by using "big data" analysis techniques to keep those trying to game the
system from being successful repetitively, or with a high rate, and writing
off the minor amount of fraud that slips through that system, in the name
of making the economic wheels roll as smoothly as possible for every
legitimate transaction.

Aaron S. Joyner