[TriLUG] "Cleaning" a Windows machine

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at austintek.com
Sun Dec 21 22:36:53 EST 2014

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014, C TC wrote:

>>> What tools would you recommend?

dd

make a dd copy and mess with the copy. If the copy gets hosed, just dd it again.

I've recovered all but one windows machine, with brute force tools like
malwarebites. It's been about 5 yrs since I've done anything like this, but I
downloaded and burned anything that would run off a CD and would check a windows
disk. Most didn't do anything, but maybe I didn't have what they were looking
for.

Sure reinstall would have been faster, but it was easier for me to run it all
over a week or two in my spare time than for them to find all their beloved
programs again.

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml