[TriLUG] Stick Stories: was Experiments with alternative init systems

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Dec 29 02:18:18 EST 2014

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 23:35:05 -0500 (EST)
William Sutton <william at trilug.org> wrote:

> I had gone (mother in tow since I was just 15 and had to have an
> adult along) in my father's MG Midget to the

MG Midget! What a different car than my 1959 Plymouth with a three on
the tree, flathead 6, and a very worn clutch. My clutch was so worn it
was fairly easy to shift without it. I was 19, and life was grand.

One day my buddy Mike showed up on campus with a borrowed Jaguar XKE. I
said "can I drive it?", and he said yes. I was to drive it between the
El Train beams (this was on the South Side of Chicago).

"Listen Steve", Mike said. "This isn't a 59 Plymouth with a worn
clutch. The clutch on this car is very tight. Don't rev it too high,
and let the clutch out VERY slowly.

So I didn't rev it too high, and let the clutch out VERY slowly. And at
one specific point as I let it out, I changed position to a point 20
feet ahead, before hitting the clutch and the brake at the same time. I
didn't accelerate, I simply changed positions instantly. I gave the car
back to Mike. Even though it was half the weight of my car, it was too
much car for me.

SteveT