[TriLUG] SpamAssassin + ??? + Postfix == PROFIT!!

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Mon Jan 12 13:22:21 EST 2015

Slightly off topic, but on the subject of Spam Assassin, I thought I would
share something that I ran into recently in case anyone else has been
impacted by this.

Apparently the site that ran DNS_FROM_AHBL_RHSBL which is / was used by
SA, went belly up on 1/1/15 and for whatever (in my not so humble opinion)
ignorant reason they decided to set the RBL system to report positive to
all queries thereby increasing the likelihood that mail gets flagged as
SPAM.  Given that they said that this was done to annoy people who don't
maintain their email systems, strikes me as malicious.

After noticing a pattern of valid messages getting delivered to spam
folder with this flag set, I took the obvious answer of overriding this
value to zero in the local.cf file.  Even though I restarted Postfix,
Amavis, Spamassassin, etc it didn't seem to have any effect.

Continued searching showed that this appears to have been addressed by SA
but in many cases one needs to run a manual update (via the sa-update
command).  This may be due to a default option of having auto updates
disabled, but I couldn't find such an option.

In any case, following this command and a complete reboot, messages are no
longer getting flagged as SPAM due to this erroneous RBL.