[TriLUG] OT: local source for logic ICs?

Peter Neilson neilson at windstream.net
Fri Jan 16 17:20:32 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Chris Merrill <chris at webperformance.com>
wrote:

> flashing lights

My uncle built me a flashing light from three tiny 30-volt batteries, a
resistor, a capacitor, and an NE-2 neon bulb. It makes an RC relaxation
oscillator where the R slowly lets the voltage increase across the C until
it gets to the neon's firing voltage, which is about 60 volts. I was like
maybe 8 years old. Just what I needed. Uncle taught me to solder, as well.
I am incapable of making a bad solder joint, and I'll bet a few of the
other old-timers here can say that. too.

The usual NE-2 is photosensitive, in that incident light will affect the
firing voltage. NE-2s can thus be used to build logic elements if one is
very careful.