[TriLUG] Google Fiber

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com
Wed Jan 28 10:14:03 EST 2015

On 01/28/2015 09:06 AM, John Vaughters wrote:
> I do not understand all the negative sentiments on Google. They are doing what every great American Company has done in the past. Use new ways to further their business. That's all there is to it.
Hi Jonathan,

It's not hard to find places to poke holes in Google's reputed
greatness.  They are a company with a poor-to-nonexistent customer
service record, stepping into a market where customer service competes
to be the worst possible.  They are positioning themselves to be the
sole communications provider for our entire region.  They will greatly
increase our broadband speed, but does this mean that we need to link
hands and sing their corporate anthem ("I Feel Lucky", sung to the tune
of "I Feel Pretty" from West Side Story) until the glow gradually fades?

I don't think that anyone is opposed to Google (or any other business,
great or otherwise, American, foreign, or international) furthering
their stockholder's interests.  What I think that a lot of the public
opposes is business that seeks to gain by using their financial might to
limit the rights of their customers.  For example, the right to benefit
from competition, the right to protect their privacy, or the right to
develop new alternatives to the services that they control.

   Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote
scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com