[TriLUG] Google Fiber

Wes Garrison wes at xitechusa.com
Wed Jan 28 11:24:59 EST 2015

This is very true RE: Uverse.

The sales reps will even tell you it is fiber.  They aren't lying on
purpose; they're just ignorant.

Uverse is no more fiber than TWC's "Hybrid Fiber-Coaxial" network is
fiber.  It may be fiber to the VRAD (local neighborhood box - the next
generation DSLAM).

Here in Chapel Hill, there are actually 2 types of Uverse.

Downtown is nearly all ADSL2+, which is barely an upgrade to the original
DSL.  It maxes out at 18Mbps.

Other parts of the city that are fed from newer, fiber-fed VRADs are VDSL,
which can support much higher speeds, but only over *very* short distances.

The only way to know which you have is by checking the availability.  If
24Mbps is available, you have a VRAD with VDSL.  Otherwise, it's a plain
old DSLAM with ADSL2+.

I am not aware of any markets where Uverse is "Fiber to the Home", but
there may be some.

-Wes

Wesley S. Garrison
Network Engineer
Xitech Communications, Inc.
phone:  (919) 260-0803
pager:   (919) 869-1744
fax:       (919) 932-5051
"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from email."