[TriLUG] Slightly Off Topic - personal NAS or Cloud Service?

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Sat Jan 31 17:34:43 EST 2015

My standard recommendation is Backblaze. They back up everything, storage is unlimited. Also check out their blog on hard drive recommendations: they provide some of the best data on the subject.

If you are going to build a NAS, I recommend FreeNAS as ECC and ZFS are a must. Otherwise, you might as well keep your data on pieces of china near a herd of elephants.

IMO, don't bother with RAID, hardware or software, just go for ZFS mirrors.

For hardware, I have been looking at either an HP Microserver or entry level Lenovo tower servers.

Personally, I am running ZFS on Ubuntu because I want more flexibility than FreeNAS offers and had 25+ hours to set everything up.

Igor