[TriLUG] Mailing list changes to mitigate DMARC rejections

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Feb 16 14:22:20 EST 2015

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:46:11 -0500 (EST)
Jack Hill via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015, Aaron Schrab via TriLUG wrote:
>
> > So now replying to only the person who sent the message will go
> > from somewhat difficult (thanks to the Reply-To: munging) to
> > impossible in some situations.
>
> Thanks for catching this. I have turned of Reply-To: munging off, so
> now both the original posters address and the list address appear in
Doesn't that also send me two copies of every reply to my post? If so,
who needs that kind of aggravation?

> > A different strategy for avoiding this problem mentioned by the
> > mailman site was to not allow posts from Yahoo or AOL addresses.  I
> > wonder if that might be a better way to go, not breaking the list
> > for everybody else to accommodate a couple of email providers.
>
> I don't find shutting people out to be a good solution (and as
> annoyed as I am about the Yahoo policy, dealing with spam is a real
> pain and I feel for them).

I think it's a great solution. The kind of people interested in Linux
have access to email from vendors other than yahoo, hotmail, and other
stuff like that. If those free email vendors want to break mailman
lists, then bouncing them (and documenting the intent to do so) is the
right thing to do.

> Unfortunately, moving away from email is
> not realistic at this time.

Of course not. Mailing lists are a great way of getting discussions
coming to me, rather than my going out and hunting down every
discussion I'm involved in (together with manual password auth or
"facebook login" when I'm not on facebook).

> The other option that I do thing would be
> acceptable would be wrapping the original message as a MIME part of a
> new message from the list address. If I remember correctly, Brian
> successfully argued against this option when we were originally
> deciding which to use. Brian, can you elaborate on why this is better?

Neither. Bounce Yahoo.

> Please note that the primary purpose of the trilug@ list is to
> facilitate community discussion, not private replys. This is why
> that the current (now fixed!) setting is acceptable for the same
> reasons.

Almost true. Via the current system, you're going to be getting two
copies of my post: One from the mailing list and one direct from me.
Every single list inhabitant endures that inconvenience so that a few
noobs can participate with their no-pay email addresses from Yahoo.

My recommendation: Bounce Yahoo.

SteveT