[TriLUG] CentOS 6 with kernel v3 - bonding interface drops

Jack Hill via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Feb 18 11:15:06 EST 2015

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015, Ron Kelley via TriLUG wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> Running a couple of backup servers with CentOS6 with two 10G bonded
> NICs.  If I boot a v3 kernel (3.14, 3.19, etc), I see a ton of dropped
> packets on my bonded interface.  I tried various flavors of bonding to
> pinpoint the issue (mode-1, mode-6, etc), and all show the same drops.
> However, if I drop back to the standard CentOS 6 kernel (2.6.32) I don’t
> see the same behavior.

Ron,

I believe that I've seen this before (on Ubuntu) with newer kernels. My
recollection is that the way Linux reports dropped packets changed at some
point. Some quick searching found

and
https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7007165

which seem related.

Sorry that I can't say for sure. Are you getting the performance that you
expect from your interface?

Best,
Jack