[TriLUG] Article on Radio Shack's Demise

C TC via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Feb 18 11:38:27 EST 2015

"Radio Shack lost its way when it ditched its hobbyist customers"

Nice read. The title says it all.

I've missed the "real" shack for quite a long time now. Nothing will
replace the first time I went there. My Grandfather took me to get wiring
and a few other small parts to make my slot cars go faster. There was no
looking back after that!

In these last two decades; where we can to type "how to ..." into a search
bar, and some guy somewhere will walk you through a total build, or repair
of anything ... The Shack was never in the top search results. Not to
mention that the parts lists from said how-to's were mostly non-Radio Shack
links.

IMO: When they gave up on passing knowledge to customers, they immediately
lost their true fan base. I say this knowing how tough it is for a
storefront to keep up/compete with the amount of new information currently
at our fingertips.

However, you would have thought that the walls and parts bins would have
been restocked with Arduinos, RPi's, embedded hobby boards, and all things
related to the new forms of tinkering. Reestablishing itself as a DIY
headquarters. Such is the way of our new world economy. Evolve or die.
Tweet or get of the pot.

I need some 16AWG wire, shrink wrap, solder, and other small bits for a new
project. Looks like I'll get it from them, instead of spreading orders
across multiple on line vendors to save a few pennies. I always over buy,
suffering from "and two of these" disease. Besides, it will be fun trying
to get to the car without the parts cutting their way through that terribly
thin white and red bag one last time.