[TriLUG] Article on Radio Shack's Demise

Pete Soper via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Feb 18 14:09:17 EST 2015

http://anibit.com is a local Cary business. They don't have a store
front yet have occasionally made arrangements in the past to provide
alternatives to postal delivery. They are a distributor for Adafruit,
Pololu, DigiStump, Dangerous Prototypes, Seeed, and Ezrobot. The owner
(Jon Wolfe) attends TriEmbed <http://TriEmbed.org> meetings at NCSU
every second Monday of the month (but any commercial interactions
between Jon and other attendees at the meetings must be strictly private
for the sake of TriEmbed's legal contract with 'State).

The Cary/Crossroads Radioshack is very much alive and well and there is
no possibility of them being closed unless RS changes their position
drastically and decides to close all remaining stores. They have an
unusually good stock of hobby related parts (an entire wall of
littleBits <http://littlebits.cc/>, for example). They also have an
onsite repair shop (called "Fix it Here!") with a skilled technician
(Matt Bain) who can do many phone and tablet repairs and maintenance ops
like glass and battery replacement. Between Rick, Paul, and Matt I
guestimate they have 50-70 years total experience selling, making, and
fixing electronics. Even their relatively inexperienced guys (John and
AJ) are MUCH sharper than average. They're fully engaged with keeping
that store the benchmark in this part of the country. Phone is 919 851
0332, address is 419 Crossroads Blvd, Cary, NC 27511
<https://www.google.com/maps/place/419+Crossroads+Blvd,+Crossroads+Plaza,+Cary,+NC+27518/@35.7613362,-78.7355609,17z/data=%213m1%214b1%214m2%213m1%211s0x89acf490bd35899b:0xab62f3d9321053>.

I have no connection with either organization except as a satisfied
customer.

-Pete