[TriLUG] Move over Google: Wilson, NC did it a long, long time ago

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Feb 28 00:48:59 EST 2015

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 20:22:17 +0000 (UTC)
John Vaughters via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> >When you have an imposed monopoly of one or two service providers
> >who collude on contractual terms, they are identical to the behavior
> >that you find so shocking in the government.
> I couldn't disagree more.
> 1st -  I make an agreement for a service and I know what service is
> traded for pay. There is nothing hidden here.

And they reneig on the agreement, and for practical purposes you can't
say boo. Nothing hidden there either, they do it all the time.

> 2nd - I do not agree
> there is a monopoly. If this is such a clear monopoly, then the Gov.
> should attack that with monopoly laws on the books.

The government should have attacked the broadband carriers with
monopoly laws years ago. The government doesn't do that anymore:
They're too afraid of people who shout that everything the government
does is evil.

> 3rd - A
> corporation is not a Gov. entity and owes no transparency to anyone
> other than what is required to be a corporation under US laws.4th -
> FCC is a Gov. entity and we are their employer and they owe us an
> explanation for their actions. This concept seems to be lost on the
> young.

They gave us an explanation. We're paying double the money for half the
performance of other developed countries, and it's all going in the
pockets of the broadband vendors. Won't invest? Hell, they haven't
been investing. Now they just have an even lamer excuse.

Maybe the young people know that the government they pay taxes to is
charged with protecting them from oligopolies. Or maybe the young read
history books, explaining why laws were made to bust up the likes of
Standard Oil in the first place.

SteveT