[TriLUG] keyboards

Magnus Hedemark via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Feb 28 15:48:36 EST 2015

> On Feb 28, 2015, at 3:32 PM, Jack Hill via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> What better than the original PC keyboard: http://unicomp.com/
>
> I own two made by Unicomp, one made by Lexmark, and one made by IBM.

I should temper expectation here.

I’ve got an IBM Model M from 1986, if I remember correctly. I took it from job to job for years, much to the chagrin of my co-workers.

I stopped using it when I stopped getting machines that supported PS/2 keyboards. Actually I did use it at Red Hat, via a USB converter, but that ended up being lame because the USB converter had some weird issues. So I pretty much used it non-stop from 1986 to early 2014.

Three years ago I bought a Unicomp keyboard for my Mac Mini. It’s gotten a lot less use. Three months ago, I stopped using it as some of the switches were already quitting.

I’m not sure what’s changed since 1986, but while the Unicomps feel like the real thing, my limited experience says that they are not as rugged.

-M