[TriLUG] keyboards

Ric Moore via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Mar 1 01:15:23 EST 2015

On 02/28/2015 08:57 PM, Steve Litt via TriLUG wrote:

> The only problem is, I eat at my keyboard (excuuuuuuuse me!), so it's
> filthy now. What do you guys do to clean up a keyboard? I was thinking
> of taking a photo of it, putting all the keys in the washing machine,
> cleaning the exterior and somehow the interior too without losing the
> springs and rubber domes, and then putting it back together again. Does
> that sound reasonable?

I've done that before, but I would omit the washing machine bit. I
assume you mean the dishwasher? Too caustic for the painted keys I would
suspect, and you'd lose the finish. Just light detergent would do swell,
if just hot water didn't do the trick. Good luck on the springs and
putting back together. :) Ric

I had a CP/M Kaypro and about 30 other CP/M machines in a "collection"
that you may not have ever seen. The Montana State Surplus barn was in
Helena and the locals must have never heard of such a thing. I was
buying up working older machines for $5-10 bucks. I bought a PALLET of
Sheilah Shine in gallons for $1,50 a gallon can. It went on the street
for $19 a can, for polishing stainless steel. It was being banned
because it had a petroleum base. The replacement that used vegetable oil
didn't work well. I cleaned up. Your tax dollars at work!

I do love Government surplus! I got a 1/4 million worth of Unisys
5000/90 for $301. Always up a sealed bid with that extra dollar. Then
you beat who ever reckoned the same bid. I had to rent a moving truck to
haul it home to the bat cave (a old bank building that I moved into for
cheap) and had to run a separate elec service to it to provide 80amps at
220V to fire it up. Damn thing would heat a room, make you deaf and cost
$100 a month in electricity bill to run it. Never got it to do much, the
SOB lacked a C++ compiler and had four 69040 CPU's. I was fun to watch
the tape drives whir and whir around. I wish I still had it. It had
about 40 serial ports and I got a mile of multi-conductor wire to go
with it. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html