[TriLUG] Slightly Off Topic - personal NAS or Cloud Service?

Ric Moore via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Mar 1 15:47:02 EST 2015

On 03/01/2015 12:06 PM, Jeff T. Riffer via TriLUG wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2015, Howard Boyd wrote:
>> Recently had a hard drive failure and found out the cloud service I
>> was using (Just Cloud) was not automatically backing up my video
>> files. They want to charge me an extra fee to backup my video files.
>
> Check-out OwnCloud:    https://owncloud.org/
>
> FOSS cloud solution. Oooh they just released 8.0 I'll have to go try that!
>
> I have it running on a CentOS 5.11 server and it works fine. It supports
> encryption, individual user quotas and a whole bunch of nifty features.
> You can even link an OwnCloud account to DropBox, essentially mounting
> your DropBox inside OwnClouds.

I have a Proxmox server that I install Turnkey Linux containers to. They
have OwnCloud in a package which installs just as nicely as you could
want. http://www.turnkeylinux.org/owncloud

I'm LAZY and refuse to beat my brains out from half-baked HOWTOS. So,
Turnkey makes it dead easy. It's like one massive RPM/DEB file that is
pre-configured to the point that all you need is to set the admin
password and IP address. And, they are both free.

I run Proxmox on an old MSI box with Intel two core and 4 gigs of ram. I
can run about 6 containers at once, under a light load, and it's been
relatively easy to set up. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html