[TriLUG] Recommendations for a firewall machine

Reginald Reed via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Mar 1 22:09:47 EST 2015

I just replaced a Linksys E4200 with RouterBoard 450G running OpenWRT 12.09
(30 minutes ago) and a couple of Ubiquiti UniFi APs for wireless access (3
or 4 days ago).

I've had the 450G for 5+ years, recently found it and put it back into
service because the Linksys was starting to flake out in strange ways.  The
UniFi APs are new and I love them.  Comes with cool management software and
allows for a several APs to use a single SSID with *very* fast handoff.

All components are fanless and completely silent less a beep when the 450G
starts that I'm sure could be disabled.

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B004XXMUCQ
https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

http://www.amazon.com/Mikrotik-RB450G-Routerboard-450G/dp/B005GACVFQ
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/mikrotik/rb450g

I'd likely do more research on alternatives to the 450G if I was buying
hardware again for this purpose to make sure I was getting the most bang
for the buck.  I'm pretty happy that the hardware I bought in 2009 is still
overpowered for what I need in 2015.