[TriLUG] The sad state of sysadmin in the age of containers

Sean Korb via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Mar 13 12:22:47 EDT 2015

I also have not had enough coffee today :)

More capabilities means more management and I do think Puppet or an other
configuration management tool can be a help rather than an exploitation
tool (though for sure that's what you saw).  So the trick is to dial back
the customer that sees all the cool new stuff and let them know these
issues are not trivial... yet.

I think that one of these conf management tools may become smart enough in
the future to take a more active role in validating and the like from
foreign authors but for now we are going to have to work with what we
have.  Build your own and validate what you believe and trust you have at
all times.  This is the same for VDI or VMWare or vBlock or what have you.
The atomic problems have been automated to be easier but the customer
expects much much more so our jobs are at least as difficult to manage.  We
have to be good at letting people know how difficult it is while ensuring
what we are expressing is real.

So ummm... thanks for expressing what is real :)  I've been thinking about
this quite a bit myself lately.  It's more of a philosophical question than
a technical one I feel.

sean