[TriLUG] DRMed coffee maker?

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed May 13 11:09:12 EDT 2015

> The whole point is that, currently, that ring you describe is illegal
> for you to use. Look at the penalties for copyright infringement:
> Nothing to fool around with.

I'm actually not sure that it is illegal to circumvent a lockout
mechanism.  It's not a *copyright* issue, it's an issue of
interoperability.  The Magnuson-Moss Waranty Act
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act> has long
held that manufacturers can't void warranties for the purposes of
interoperability.

I don't know if that applies here, but I don't think the DMCA applies
either.

I'm not a lawyer, though, and I've been wrong before.

-Wes