[TriLUG] July's talk: Free Software and Copyright

Michael Kimsal via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Jun 20 14:18:32 EDT 2015

How is "derivative work" (FWIW, rather core to GPL) defined?  Also, memory
a bit shaky, but GPL (or perhaps some other early copyleft license) had
language about "linking", which always felt out of place for most
languages/projects that weren't compiled.

I may not be able to make the presentation, but perhaps a bit of a followup
to the list with some of the common questions addressed at the meeting
would be useful to all of us.

Thanks :)

On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Matthew Frazier via TriLUG <
trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> Hello, TriLUG,
>
> At next July's meeting, I'll be speaking on copyright - specifically,
> how free and open source software and copyright work together (or
> fight). Copyright's a wide field - even just "free software copyright"
> is a wide field - so I'd like to get some advance feedback from the LUG
> as I prepare the outline for the talk. I plan to open up with a brief
> introduction to copyright in general, but from there I can branch off
> into a few different topics:
>
> - The nuts and bolts of how licenses work (including what "incompatible"
> means for licenses)
> - Common licensing mistakes for free and open source software
> - How to select a license for your project
> - How to follow licenses properly (it's easier than you think)
> - Copyright vs. trademark in Free Software (think Mozilla and Red Hat)
> - Copyright vs. patent in Free Software
> - Copyright assignment, CLA's, and when they might be necessary
> - How fair use works, and applies to software
> - New challenges to free software licenses (Oracle v. Google)
> - How DRM anticircumvention laws work
>
> I won't have time to discuss everything on this list, so if there's a
> particular topic you're interested in (whether it's on the list or not),
> or a particular copyright question you'd like answered, just reply
> on-list or to me directly. I'm hoping this talk will be both interesting
> and practical.
>
> Thanks,
> Matthew Frazier
> PR Officer, Triangle Linux Users Group