[TriLUG] cut the TV cable

Ken MacKenzie via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jun 29 22:46:36 EDT 2015

We did this about a year ago.  It has been great.  We are prime members so
we get the amazon prime vod included with that.  Plus we have netflix but
we had to upgrade because with 5 of us more devices were needed at the same
time.

So a couple things I found in all of this.

One a good wifi router. Not the cheapest garbage off the shelf.

Two, stay away from smart TV's especially if it will need to connect with
wifi.  Too many eggs in one basket and they tend to have garbage antennas
and firmware.

Three, decide how you will serve local content.  We used to just use
minidlna.  However there is no plain DLNA app in a roku if you go that
route, we didn't but still worth mentioning.  Another option is Plex, I
might demo that again but for now it seems the best stuff for it you have
to pay for.  So we use media browser http://emby.media/, seems it is now
called emby.  It can serve DLNA but you can make profiles and allow those
profiles to only view content up to a certain rating, like say PG-13.  We
have 3 kids so this was important.  The app for media borwser on the
samsung smart tv is a beta though and required putting the TV in developer
mode to do.  I forget where I got those instructions.

Anyway it has served us well for 18 months so we would never go back.  And
technically with the cable still hooked to the TV we can see the basic
channels as we still pay for the cable modem.  But if that went away we
would hardly shed a tear.

Ken

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:27 PM, Jeremy Davis via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org