[TriLUG] Router recommendations

Igor Partola via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jul 3 12:35:49 EDT 2015

Joe,

The reason is somewhat specific to me: I had a lot of trouble with Wi-Fi
around my house when I first moved here. I finally figured out that the
radio on the TP-Link was the likely culprit when combined with my Macbook.
I looked for alternatives and found that I liked the TP-Link as a router
(lots of RAM and Flash, fast CPU, easy OpenWRT install), but needed a
different radio.

Reasons to use UniFi instead of what comes in a router:

 - you can locate it where it makes sense
 - it plays really nicely with other UniFi devices so if you need more than
one access point, these provide the most seamless transition as you roam
 - very stable and allows me to isolate where the problem is easier (is it
the router? the switch? the router's radio?)
 - comes highly recommended.

I've had this setup for about 9 months now and it's been rock solid.
Originally I was going to get a second and a third UniFi AP but ended up
only needing one. I have the UniFi AP (https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/)
but probably would have gotten the AC version had I known I'd only need one.

Igor