[TriLUG] OT: Drone Zone

Tim Jowers via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Jul 11 07:01:26 EDT 2015

Hi fellow Tri-Luggers,

   Is anyone aware of any drone projects or hobbyists in the area?  I'm
brainstorming with a friend at a well-known discount retailer about drone
delivery and speaking with one of our county commissioners about
establishing a "Drone Zone". Our plan is considering making the delivery a
subcontractor model (think Uber). Other parts include some business IP
approach due to his years working in that industry.

  The county commissioner will want to know a list of companies, university
project, etc which would benefit from a Drone Zone. I believe this could
keep NC "First in Flight". :-)

Thanks!
Tim Jowers
P.S> I understand there are Drone races through forests etc so any leads on
that would be great too as I could go ask those guys. From the two drone
hobbyists I've spoken with so far I realize there are some significant
technical hurdles to overcome and believe a formal SAFE zone for trials is
needed. Especially for any legit business trying to grow and compete in
this area.