[TriLUG] Books that inspired us

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Sep 21 08:54:22 EDT 2015

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 08:18:00PM -0400, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:

> Radio Amateur's Handbook ( beginning with the 1955 edition )

Like JC, that was a big influence on my life, starting with later
editions, but then I collected, from mentors and used book stores, many
more copies of that and other similar books.

I have always been a great lover of Science Fiction, with RAH and Andre
Norton generally topping my list.  From those and the next, probably my
interest in the idea of space exploration.  That and the events of the
1960s.

I also remember an art book, I don't think it was by Chesley Bonestell,
but somebody very like him, of imagined space stations, colonies and the
like.

"The 26 Letters," by Oscar Ogg!

"The Art of Computer Programming," by Donald Knuth!

Probably others that are in storage, and I don't remember, I think all
influenced my attitudes, interests, and direction of my life in
computers.

Brian