[TriLUG] Books that inspired us

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Sep 21 09:42:08 EDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 08:54:22AM -0400, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:

> "The 26 Letters," by Oscar Ogg!
>
> "The Art of Computer Programming," by Donald Knuth!

And I almost forgot one that has been a BIG influence in my life:

"Computer Lib/Dream Machines," the two sides of a fascinating book by
Theodor Holm Nelson, who, in the early 1960's, was working at Brown
University on "Hypertext" and the Xanadu project, whose concepts have
been very much simplified and, perhaps, bowdlerized, for today's web.

Ted's concepts involved bi-directional linking, annotations as part of
the document but separate, with separate authors, and some other such
radical ideas.

"Everything is deeply intertwingled."  Ted Nelson, *Computer Lib/Dream
Machines*, 1974.