[TriLUG] [TriEmbed] Favourite electrical connectors?

Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 25 10:50:01 EDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Charles West via TriEmbed
<triembed at triembed.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on a board for the CanInstall autoregistration project and I'm
> not really sure what connectors to use for it.  I'm currently leaning toward
> either DF13-4 connectors or simple 4 pin headers.  If I may ask, are there
> any other connectors that you would recommend or have used in your projects?
>
> Pros/cons:
> DF13:
> The upside is that they are very small, connect very securely and SMD female
> connectors are $.41 per.  The downside is that they are extremely hard to
> get out (don't pull on cable, very gently pry with finger nail on one side,
> then the other) and cables for them are extremely hard to find/expensive
> ($1.5 per in lots of 20 is the cheapest I've found).
>
> Vertical Headers:
> The plus is I can get break apart SMD headers at roughly $.05 each including
> shipping at lots of $5
> (http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-2-54MM-1-40Pin-SMD-SMT-1-40Pin-Male-Single-Row-Pin-Header-/261879748701?hash=item3cf93fd85d),
> cables at $.22 per in lots of $5
> (http://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-2-54mm-to-2-54mm-Dupont-Wire-Cable-Connectors-4P-to-4P-Pin-Header-20cm-YG-/111487505711?hash=item19f52c552f)
> and they are pretty standard for hobbyist projects (and extremely similar to
> servo connections).  The downsides are that they have no polarity control,
> are much more likely to slide out and take up a lot more board real estate
> (translating to either bigger boards or less connectors).

      IMHO:

1) For pin spacing, use the same standard one everyone -- arduino,
raspberrypi, a terminal I saw when I took apart something I can't
remember what it was -- else uses.

2) Do you need SMD headers? If I plan on yanking a connector I would
like the pins to be going through the board and soldered on the back;
only question would be 90 degrees or not. But, I do not know how your
design looks like.
2.1) If you really have to have SMD, I would run some wires to a
header that would then be on the case of whatever you are doing.