[TriLUG] mostly OT: Tech Lobbyist

Danielle White via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 25 17:57:05 EDT 2015

Worse, for a long time in some areas those cable companies had exclusive contracts with the municipality. That was the reason that, when I lived in Pennsylvania, dialup was my only option through 2008: they refused to run the less-than-one mile of cable to get eight houses. A new neighbor contacted them and was told that he'd have to pay over $1,000 up front and they'd only commit to running it within the next five years.

They did, however, make sure to run three miles of cable at no direct charge to the subscriber to get a single customer: the mother of one of the supervisors (elected position for the township, equivalent to council member, basically.)