[TriLUG] A sad comment on our culture

Nikolas Everett via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Oct 12 11:59:51 EDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Matt Whitlow via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org
> wrote:

> the
> kernel development is known to be a harsh, brutal, and unforgiving
> community but it lowers the chance of bad code getting into the community
> when you aren't afraid to question someone's code.

It *does* work but its not the only thing that works. I've worked in
environments that don't put up with brutal comments but still maintain
quality and that worked. You can totally question people's code and be nice
about it.

But, again, it works for the kernel. I'd never contribute to the kernel
anyway because I'm not a good C developer but I'd doubly never contribute
because I don't need the extra stress. They can alienate who they like so
long as the project is still healthy. More people for the healthy
communities then.