[TriLUG] A sad comment on our culture

Ken MacKenzie via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Oct 12 12:06:37 EDT 2015

Being called an f**ing idiot is a personal attack.  Saying this code is
f***ing idiotic attacks the code.

You can easily see the difference between commenting on the action  and the
person.

I maintain that if you really want to slam something, to the degree that
expletives come out, you better have a way better and proven alternative on
hand.  In other words anyone can point to a problem, what has real value is
when someone points to a solution.  Short of that the most lambasting
critique you have earned the privilege to levy is something akin to, "are
you sure that is the best way?" or "this doesn't address X so what is your
plan for that?"

It is called basic civility as well.  I think american culture is overall
lacking that these days.

Ken

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM, Matt Whitlow via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org