[TriLUG] A sad comment on our culture

Danielle via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Oct 12 13:29:33 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-12 12:44, Matt Flyer via TriLUG wrote:
>> Being called an f**ing idiot is a personal attack.  Saying this code
>> is
>> f***ing idiotic attacks the code.
>>
>> You can easily see the difference between commenting on the action
>> and
>> the
>> person.
>>
> One particular one that I remember
> being pointed out to me was having the dummy version number of
> 12345-678.

That's a really good argument for never using "silly" place-holders to
be replaced later. At my current position we had one get through to the
customer that looked very bad: it resulted in a dialogue box that was
highly unprofessional. In theory that dialog box could only be triggered
by something that the customer would never do, but that isn't what
happened.

> Needless to say, Bill never called me a felding idiot or even saying
> the
> mistakes in the code were idiotic, though they most certainly were.
> What
> Bill did do was make the list of top bosses that I've ever had and
> inspire
> people to put forth the superior effort because they wanted to.
> Years
> later, former coworkers would even say that at times when faced with
> professional decisions, especially when dealing with another person,
> they
> would ask themselves, "What would Bill do"?

I've had a few managers like that; I've also had ones who were the
oppose. I recall an exchange from about a decade ago where the manager
told me that he was so angry with me (though in far more coarse
language) that they couldn't even talk about it at the time and demanded
we have a meeting to discuss the issue. Due to a massive overload of
work for the department the meeting had to be repeatedly postponed for
about two months, after which the manager decided it was no longer
necessary and informed me that I had fixed what was the issue. To this
day I have no idea what the issue was or what I did that fixed it; from
my position nothing material had changed between the two points.

A major factor that I have personally encountered after the
demographics of the group change is that the individuals, such as women
and/or minorities, who weren't present before in that space are
effectively held to different standards. I've lost track of how often
I've responded similarly to the remarks of the sort being discussed and
been told that my responses, but not their comments, were inappropriate.
Occasionally it comes with the rejoinder that me doing so is
"unladylike," as well, which is a clear statement that they are not
comfortable with us participating in the same way.

Danielle
Danielle at whitrel.com
http://danielle-white.info/